Mrs Carolyn Walker

Welfare/First Aid Lead


Medical Information/First Aid

Salendine Nook High School wishes to ensure that all students with medical conditions/ illnesses receive appropriate care and support to ensure that they can attend school and play a full and active role in school life, remain healthy and achieve their full potential.
This includes long-term medical conditions and also minor illnesses and ailments.
All students health records including details of more serious conditions and allergies are recorded and held securely on SIMS so the information is readily available to staff should an incident occur.
It is very important that parent/carers keep the school informed of changes to their child’s medical condition and provide medical evidence as required.
The welfare officer is responsible for collating all students medical information  and administering first aid.

First Aid Provision

The Welfare Officer is responsible for administering First Aid to students and is based in the Medical Room on the Geography Corridor.
If students feel ill during lessons and there is a genuine reason then they will be allowed to go to the Medical room.
The Welfare Officer will provide first Aid and advice.
Where possible the student is encouraged to go back into lessons after a short time in the medical room.
If a student needs to be sent home due to illness this must be done by the Welfare Officer, in liaison, if necessary with the Attendance Officer, Student Support Managers and parents.
Students are not allowed to sign themselves out without appropriate permission.
They should not contact their parents themselves and ask to be picked up.
First aiders in school cannot diagnose medical conditions . They are trained to assess that a student is fit enough to attend lessons. If this is deemed not to be so it is the parent/carer’s responsibility to take over immediate care of the student.
It is the individual student’s responsibility to report to parent/carers if they have felt, become unwell ,or suffered a minor injury in the course of the day, unless otherwise indicated in the policy.

Parents/carers will not be informed if the student has a minor complaint whilst at school:

  • Cuts/grazes that do not require professional attention
  • A sprain/strain to ligaments muscles where the student confirms that the initially reported pain has stopped and physical movement is not visibly hampered.
  • A headache that goes away
  • Period pains

Parents will always be contacted or the secondary contact supplied on SIMS and every effort made to speak to them personally should a student

  • Need to attend hospital
  • If an amabulance is called
  • Has a suspected contagious rash
  • Has been stung/bitten by an insect
  • Has had an injury to the head
  • Appear to be unfit to continue their day in school
  • Have an existing health care plan in place and is feeling unwell.
  • If the injury is deemed non accidental.

Administration of prescription medication and paracetamol

Prescription medicine will only be administered in school if it is in it’s original container and is clearly labelled with the students name and dose frequency.
Where ever possible medication should be given at home unless it is detrimental to the student’s medical condition and needs to be taken in dose frequency during the day.
A parental medication consent form needs to be filled in and signed before the medication can be kept and administered in school.
Consent forms are available from Reception.
The only non-prescription medication the Welfare Officer is permitted to administer is Paracetamol in the event of the student having a minor medical ailment whilst the student is in school such as a headache/sore throat.
Permission must have already received from parents/carers and recorded on SIMS.
Paracetamol is only accessible at break and lunchtime in order to control dosage.
Only one 5oomg tablet will be given at a time to a student under 16
Parent/carers will be notified via telephone/email/MyEd message if their child has been given a paracetamol.
Please contact Carolyn Walker at if you have any concerns or questions regarding your child’s medical condition/ information.
The full medical needs policy is available to view.

Useful Links Provides a complete guide to all health conditions, symptoms and treatments including what to do and where to get help.
Head Injury Advice