Welcome to the Art Department


Art and Design is a popular subject, studied by all in Key Stage 3. During this stage, students cover a wide range of Art disciplines and skills including painting and drawing, printing, collage, mixed media, ceramics and sculpture. They explore the work of contemporary and iconic artists as well as learning about art from different cultures, and will analyse artistic works using the language of art, craft and design. We aim to ensure that all students produce creative work, exploring and recording their own ideas and experiences.

At Key Stage 4, students can choose to study GCSE Art and Design or GCSE Photography. Throughout both courses, a portfolio of work is compiled exploring themes such as Portraiture, Surrealism, Still Life, Light and Dark, Composition and the Human Figure. The work is proudly displayed around the school and through a well-attended annual Art and Technology exhibition.

Mr Chris Haigh
Head of Art

Meet the Team


 
Mr C Haigh

Head of Art
chh@snhs.kirklees.sch.uk


Mrs R Fearon

Teacher
rf@snhs.kirklees.sch.uk


Mrs J Wood

Technician
jew@snhs.kirklees.sch.uk


 

Department Subjects


Overview

Art and design embodies the highest form of human creativity and its’ teaching instils in students an appreciation of beauty and an awareness of how creativity depends on technical mastery. They learn to draw, paint and sculpt as well as design and create aesthetically pleasing objects in two and three dimensions. Our students are taught about the achievements of great artists and designers, and learn from their example.

We aim to provide students a varied and enjoyable art education, and the opportunity to develop creativity by using a range of skills in a variety of contexts. Students are able to communicate and to express their ideas and feelings through visual forms. Through exploring and sharing these ideas, students develop confidence and independence in learning. This is essential to becoming a successful learner who enjoys learning, makes progress and achieves.

Through exploring and developing ideas and assessing work critically, students reflect on, and analyse not only the world around them, but also their own work and the work of others. Students’ experience of new technologies helps to develop the skills to investigate alternative ways of working. Students learn to value the learning process as a key part of the creative experience.

Course Information

KS3

Students in Year 7 and Year 8 have two art lessons over the two-week timetable and generally complete one topic per term.

We hope that art is a fun yet engaging experience for all students, with an emphasis on developing practical skills alongside contextual and cultural awareness.

Year 7 Topics:
  • Colour Theory
  • Insects
  • Superheroes and Super Villains
  • Landscape
Year 8 Topics:
  • African Art and Culture
  • Lettering, Graphics and Pop Art
  • Hundertwasser artist study.

Homework tasks are set fortnightly and should take half an hour minimum per task.

KS4

Art is an option subject and is taught for five lesson over the two-week timetable. Students follow the AQA Art and Design specification. The qualification is 60% coursework. This is a body of work accumulated throughout their study on the course. The remaining 40% is an externally set assignment at the end of year 11. This includes a 10 hour supervised final outcome.

Year 9

Year 9 is a foundation year, targeting the skills necessary for success on the GCSE course.

  • Initially there is a focus on drawing from primary and secondary resources, drawing from imagination, mark making and pattern making. This develops into a project on fantasy creatures and fantasy landscapes.
  • The second project in year 9 focuses on the theme of OP art.

Throughout the course, the students investigate sources of visual inspiration and relevant artists.

Year 10 and 11

Typical projects include portraiture, still life, surrealism, natural forms and a mock exam.

Latest News


No post was found with your current grid settings. You should verify if you have posts inside the current selected post type(s) and if the meta key filter is not too much restrictive.